What Should you Bring on a Picnic?
It’s that’s time of year when we’re spending time outdoors with Nature enjoying the summer, wining and dining al fresco, indulging in perfect picnics.
Maybe you’re asking…what should you bring on a picnic?
For almost all the gardens and vineyard that I write about here on wine and wisteria travel I mention picnics. They are a lovely additional way to enjoy the gardens that you spend time in. Picnics offer an opportunity to relax and gather your thoughts. To talk about your favourite aspects of the places you visit. A moment to catch your breath. Most gardens have cafes and restaurants on site offering scrumptious meals, cakes and drinks but it is always nice too to bring your own picnic.
We have so many stunning garden and park destinations. They are the ideal venue for an outdoor lunch en famille. Kids love to be running around, free to play and explore, while you sit back and admire your surroundings. Or you can catch-up with friends and family, or indeed take time out with a loved one.
The long, warm, balmy days of summer are perfect for picnics.
There is absolutely nothing to stop you taking out a picnic on a winter’s day either. Cold, crisp, sunny days call for warm rugs and flasks of hot drinks or homemade soup.
I have even, believe it or not, prepared a picnic for Christmas day. Hot mulled wine roast turkey and cranberry rolls and mince pies were the order of the day.
I earn a small commission if you shop through the links in this article.
What should you bring on a picnic?
- Picnic hamper
- Picnic cool-bag
- Wine/drinks cooler
- Waterproof rugs
- Folding chairs
- Toys for the kids
- Portable barbecue
- Your favourite selection of delicious foods and drinks
- Bug Spray
Here I have chosen a selection of practical and beautiful picnic accessories for you.
I have chosen some of my favourite and best picnic accessories for you to consider. From luxury picnic hampers that hold everything you need including crockery and cutlery to a selection of lovely cosy waterproof rugs and handy folding chairs to make your picnic as comfortable as possible. There is something here for everyone.
I earn commission when you shop through the links in this article.
Luxury Picnic Hampers
Luxury four person Willow Picnic Hamper
- A beautiful traditional wicker picnic hamper to be enjoyed for many years.
- French grey wicker with a domed lid and brown leather like straps and handle.
- There is all you need for alfresco dining. This hamper comprises of; 4 white china dessert plates, 4 glass wine glasses, 4 sets of stainless steel and plastic wood effect cutlery, a corkscrew and two condiment holders.
Delux four person Picnic Basket with Chill Compartment
- A stylish and practical luxury picnic hamper for 4 persons with a built in chiller compartment and a cream material lining with accessories for 4.
- A great keepsake item.
- Ideal as a gift for Christmas, weddings and anniversaries.
- Perfect Picnics in the park.
- A great choice for festival days, concerts and garden parties.
Wicker Picnic Hamper for four with a Table
Now, I love this one as the lid converts into a small table with inserts to hold wines glasses…perfect.
- Large and strong picnic gift hamper with removable bamboo wine/snack table. the lid can be secured by way of a spike to hold it in the ground or sand if you’re at the beach.
- Soft real leather shoulder pad & adjustable shoulder strap for ease and comfort when carrying. All items are fixed and stay in place firmly.
- All necessary essentials for your picnic: 4 x Stainless steel cutlery/tableware service set, 4 x ceramic plates, 4 x wine glasses, 1 x all-in-one bottle opener with hard wood handle, 4 x Cotton napkins.
- This set also includes a picnic blanket with waterproof backing.
- This Picnic Backpack uses the finest materials.
- Very strong, robust and lightweight.
- Food is kept cool or hot for 5 – 7 hours using active cooling technology.
- This Picnic bag contains polycarbonate glasses, stainless steel cutlery and melamine plates.
- Available in dark green or dark blue.
- Also includes picnic rug attachment which is discreetly concealed in the front pocket.
Moet et Chandon Champagne Picnic Barrel for two
This make s a wonderful gift for weddings, birthdays, anniversaries. Perfect for a romantic getaway, picnicking in a secluded spot away from the hustle and bustle.
- Luxury 2 Person Cream Lined Barrel Picnic Hamper with Accessories and a 75cl bottle Moet et Chandon Champagne.
- Accessories include: 2 x Porcelain Plates, Stainless Steel Cutlery Selection for 2, 2 x Glasses, Bottle Opener and 1 x 75cl Moet et Chandon Champagne.
- Gift Message available – Over 18’s only.
Basic picnic rug with a waterproof backing in a bright, cheerful checked blue.
- Outdoor picnic blanket offers protection, comfort, and portability.
- Made of 100% polyester with a sponge padding and aluminum-coated film.
- Waterproof and sandproof underside.
- Folds down to an ultra-light compact size, flap holds it in place, handle for easy carrying.
- Measures 200 by 200 cm, measures 40 by 25 cm when folded.
- Machine washable for easy cleaning.
Extra Large Picnic Rug
- This blanket tote set is made with special design handle and straps with adjustable bronze metal buckle for easy carrying.
- The blanket measures 87″ x 67″ when open, big enough to fit 4 to 6 adults. But only 13.75″ x 6.75″ when rolled up, carry in your picnic backpack bag or basket.
- Made from durable but soft touch acrylic fabric material.
- Outdoor accessory blanket with a thick PEVA backing which is water-resistant and sand-resistant, easy to clean, shake & wipe off dirt, sand or wet grass.
- Sophisticated and attractive picnic rug.
- Ideal gift for weddings, birthdays and anniversaries for use at picnics, camping, festivals and concerts.
Folding Picnic Chairs
Here are a range of picnic chairs that are easily transportable. Ideal for many events not just picnics.
Padded Folding Chairs x 2
These chairs add that little bit of extra comfort.
- Scissor frame folding design.
- Carry bag supplied.
- Maximum weights just 120kg.
Heavy Duty Delux Folding Chair
Again, I have selected a padded chair as I think they offer the optimum comfort. This one has a high back rest so that you can truly sit back and relax.
- Sit back, and enjoy being outdoors in comfort.
- Designed with a high backrest to reduce aches and pains and provide the best support.
- Padded panels for comfort when seated.
- Strong and sturdy tubular steel frame is lightweight for ease of carrying.
- Folds into a compact shoulder bag.
- Integrated cup holder.
- Available in a range of colours.
- Maximum weight capacity: 120kg.
I hope that you are able to find some items here that you will enjoy using for your picnics, days out or festivals. Picnics are a lovely way of appreciating the great outdoors, particularly when you’re visiting parks and gardens. What better surroundings could you have for your outdoor dining experience. Take time out to relax and rewind.
Please share this article with friends and family and on social media if you have found it to be useful. I am always appreciative of your thoughts, tips and ideas so please do pop them in the comments box.
All the Best Louise